A letter written by Beniamino Gigli
(English translation by M. Verso Jr.)
- Via Serchio 2
- Rome Italy Rome,
6 October 1955
- Mr. Michelangelo Verso
- Poste Restante
- Mexico I.D.F.
- Dear Verso,
- With much pleasure I have read your letter which tells me about
your successes in the country of Mexico and about your gratification regarding
your career you have undertaken.
- I also read with equal interest the enclosed newspaper article and
am pleased to know that my good predictions regarding your career have
- Allow me now to wish you good luck in your endeavors and to send
you my sincere regards and trust that your successes will continue without
any interruption and always with great magnitude.
- You'll probably know that I have decided to give my final farewell
to the stage and therefore I won't sing neither operas nor concerts anymore;
so that your desire to have me with you in Mexico to sing for some period
in a lyric season, has to remain unfulfilled ! It is for 41 years now that
I have been travelling around the world without ever stopping a moment
to enjoy a good rest without being pestered by the calendar and by all
the commitments taken, and therefore I think that I now deserve the right
to rest without anymore thoughts of that kind.
- My brother-in-law, Vincenzo and everyone return to you many respectful
greetings, adding myself a cordial handshake.
- Yours Beniamino Gigli
- To view or read the original letter
written in Italian, please click here
Author and webmaster: Michelangelo Verso Jr.
last updated on 06/08/2015
Copyright © Michelangelo Verso